History of Summerlin Institute
Summerlin Institute traces its institutional lineage to the 1858 one-room log schoolhouse built in the community of Fort Blount. The log cabin school served the local pioneers until 1866. A cattle baron, Jacob Summerlin endowed the locals with a 120 acre land grant. It provided for the establishment of the county-seat, churches, and a school. He personally donated $1100.00 dollars for the construction of Bartow’s first two- story building housing the Masonic Lodge, and a school. The school was named Summerlin Institute in his honor, and families paid tuition to attend. The city of Bartow experienced a boom in population after the arrival of the railroad in 1885.
South Florida Military College
South Florida Military College 1895-1905
Cadets from all over Florida paid tuition to attend SFMI. The Cadets participated in college level courses including surveying and military skills. The name was changed to South Florida Military College to help distinguish its self from the local high school Summerlin Institute.
SFMC produced several famous alumni including Robert Gray the former Secretary of State of Florida. The school became a parent institution of the University of Florida 1905 because of the Buckman Act. The Buckman Act created several large state funded universities by closing smaller state funded colleges across the state. The South Florida Military College was one of those schools.
Enrollment continued to climb through the 1920’s forcing the addition of satellite classrooms at the Knights of Pythias Hall. In 1923, a longtime dream was fulfilled when the school added a secondary department bringing it to high school status. The first high school graduate was Lela Burkett. She became Polk County’s first graduating African-American Senior on June 4th, 1928. The old 1897 school was razed and in 1929 the high school moved to new facility on East Wabash Street. Union Academy became a centralized elementary & high school keeping pace with the growing population.
James E. Stephens
In 1955, the high school and primary school buildings were upgraded making Union Academy one of the leading schools in the state. The 1964 Civil Rights Act mandated desegregation in public schools and in the fall of 1969 all high school students from Union Academy were transferred to the Summerlin Institute site and later became known as Bartow High School.
In September of 2002, Bartow High School Principal Ron Pritchard asked Assistant Principal Mike Butler to research the feasibility of opening a military school in Polk County. After months of research and visits to several military schools, it was decided to present the proposal to a select group of community leaders from Bartow. In January 2003, it was presented for formal evaluation to the BESTT group and received an initial go ahead. It was decided by the Summerlin Academy Charter Committee to pursue the project as a charter school and prepared for a July 2004 charter application submittal.
Construction Of Summerlin Academy
The school board approved the Summerlin Academy project on November 8th, 2005 officially making November 8th Summerlin Academy’s birthday. Implementation approval was received on the February 14th, 2006 school board consent agenda.
Summerlin Academy Cadets
The mission of Summerlin Academy is to motivate Polk County's young adults to be better citizens by promoting academic achievement, personal accountability, civic responsibility, and leadership skills in order to excel in higher education, career, community, and life.
Unified Mission Statement:
BHS/IB/SA is a cohesive and diverse learning community, promoting a global perspective. The three schools are dedicated to providing distinct pathways of rigorous academic and social excellence encouraging students to achieve their greatest potential. Graduates will become contributing, influential citizens with a passion for lifelong learning.
Unified Vision Statement:
BHS/IB/SA will become an “A” school, graduating 100% of our students.